Saturday, October 20, 2007

Recapping the last 4 weeks

Since it's been four weeks since my last post I'll try to recap what's been going on:

1) I started grad school. For those of you who don't know, I'm doing an Ottoman History program at an English-using university, although two of my five classes are in Turkish. One of those classes is Ottoman Turkish, which is kinda like Middle English and necessary to know if you want to read old documents about Turkey.

Grad school has been challenging and awesome. It's quite a step up from undergrad: I need to read about 100-150 pages a day to keep up, and in contrast to undergrad classes where the professor basically recaps what you have read, in these classes the professor expects you to read and understand everything, then to plug that information into different frameworks.

The people in my class are cool. There are 9 Turks, 2 Germans and a British-Kurd. The age ranges are from the mid 20s to the early 30s and they are a sharp bunch. I'll be hanging out with a few of them tonight for the first time.

2) Yesterday was my birthday. Thanks to all those people who gave me the birthday shout-outs on facebook. I'll tell more about things in another post. You can even comment and I promise I won't bite!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! sounds like you have been keeping busy. are your books your new best friends?

Nathaniel said...

Hooray!
Scott is now 26!
I would have sent you a message on the date itself, but right after school I left town for an overnight church retreat. Good times.
At any rate, I hope you had a good birthday, and ate much cake, and received many priceless, handsome gifts from your many friends and admirers.
Love from Iowa to Turkey, now and always.

Dawn Carter said...

Happy Birthday, Scott!

We will celebrate your birthday by inviting Derek & Kim over and saying nice things about you. Then we'll watch "the Office." It should be good times.

Unknown said...

excuse me please Mr. Mechanical Turk. Your readership misses you. Will you blog please?

Unknown said...

excuse me please Mr. Mechanical Turk. Your readership misses you. Will you blog please?

Eric Crawford said...

Do you blog still? We need insight!!!

John said...

are you still fighting the freedom of speech law? I heard they made some headway in the past week but it still doesn't sound all that promising